IGT Croatina “Il Gigante”
- "Il Gigante" is our latest product, made entirely with croatina grapes.
- It was conceived almost by chance in 2011, while harvesting Zuccarello, our best cru. This vineyard, located at the highest point of the winery, lays at the top of a hill and enjoys the sun all day long. In another part of it, we also grow barbera; this is where the grapes for our aged wines come from.
- When we brought the croatina grapes to the cellar, we found out that there was an amazing lot of sugar. Summer 2011 was quite hot and dry, and we had appreciable alcoholic degrees in all our vineyards.
- Considering the exceptional result, we decided to make an exceptional wine. Thus “Il Gigante” (the Giant) was born. We decided to name it after our Pyrenees’ Mastiff dog Gillo, (aged 2 at the times) that weighs more than 80 kg (170 lbs), and looks indeed quite ‘gigantic’!
- This is a wine of great body, a croatina at its best, for which we choose no oak, to leave untouched its pleasant fragrance, and preserve its slightly sweet taste.
- It has not been an easy task. Wines with lot of sugar destined to be dry tend to stop fermentation after they reach a certain alcoholic degree. Contrariwise, the ones you wish to stop, proceed with slow determination. It is even more difficult in a cellar (and with a philosophy) like ours, with no chemical products or sophisticated technology. We rely on decanting and optimism.
- The colour is a very dark red, almost inscrutable. The nose is clean, with lots of red fruit varieties. The sugar content mellows the bonarda tannins, that are undoubtedly there, easily recognizable. The wine is fresh, captivating and easy to drink, despite its high alcoholic content.
- You can drink “Il Gigante” with the same matches of port, at dessert, with some cookies, chocolate or chocolate cakes, cheeses. Or simply have it in a spare moment of your day, or after dinner, letting it happily lead you to bed.