O.P. Barbera DOC “La strega, la gazza e il pioppo”
- Obtained entirely from barbera grapes, from the oldest vineyards in our farm. It is our other barriqued wine; its voluptuous body and tame acidity tempted us to see how it would interact with the small oak.
- This wine is made following our usual rules, and then put in barrique when the malolactic fermentation is completed.
- The time spent there varies on vintages, depending on how the wine develops, but, with used ones like ours, it is never less than two years. ‘La strega…” tends to behave differently from “Il ghiro…”, having an easier and friendlier disposition, it becomes "ready" earlier and remains a more classic and less rustic wine.
- Color is warm ruby, with little of its original purple notes; the nose is welcoming, rapidly opening up after a few swirls in the glass (you'll notice the marked pattern of small arches). It is possible to detect the tangy red fruit, strictly linked to the barrique own soft aroma.
Even when looking fully evolved, taste remains alive and kicking for long. A smooth, velvety barbera, with a body which loves to develop slowly with time. Lingering aftertaste. Serving temperature 19-20°C.
- It can be matched with all the usual foods that go with well-structured wines. For this wine as well, we advice to open the bottle a little in advance, letting some oxygenation take place and allowing it to express itself.